As you may know, American folk singer-songwriter Will Stratton is recovering from a battle against stage III cancer, which was diagnosed last September at just 25. As he willfully arranges the songs of his 5th album in the Seattle area, his friends of Beat Radio have put together a benefit album available since June 11 on Bandcamp. All proceeds go directly to Will to help him cover his medical bills, hoping he will soon be fit enough to hit American and European roads again.
“If You Wait Long Enough: Songs Of Will Stratton” offers new interpretations of Will’s beautiful songs by various American artists (and one by French artist Thibault Rivrain), as well as a live version by Will himself of his own “For Franny Glass” (from his second album “No Wonder“).
Buy the compilation now at http://willstrattonbenefit.bandcamp.com
1. Matthew Carefully & the Memorial Concern – “Who Will” (No Wonder)
2. Wilder Maker – “The War is Over” (New Vanguard Blues)
3. Beat Radio – “You Divers” (Post-Empire)
4. Kid in the Attic – “Do You Remember the Morning” (New Vanguard Blues)
5. NY Lights – “If You Wait Long Enough” (Post-Empire)
6. Sam Moss & The Ineligible Bachelors – “The Relatively Fair” (Post-Empire)
7. Zachary Cale – “Bluebells” (New Vanguard Blues)
8. David Garland – “Vile Bodies” (Vile Bodies EP)
9. Alexandra Drewchin and Aaron Roche – “Post Empire” (Post-Empire)
10. Trevor Wilson – “Colt New Marine” (Post-Empire)
11. Jesse Rifkin – “Katydid” (What The Night Said)
12. Thibault Rivrain – “Honey Diamond” (Post-Empire)
13. Will Stratton – “For Franny Glass” (live on WNYC’s Spinning on Air) (No Wonder)
A benefit show also takes place in SPIN New York on August 23, with a few bands who have contributed to the album: Beat Radio, Kid In The Attic, Aaron Roche, Jesse Rifkin, Trevor Wilson, and a very special guest: Will Stratton! Check the Facebook event, and buy advance tickets. 100% of ticket sales go to help fund Will’s treatment.
Read a great feature on The Bluegrass Situation: Will Stratton vs. Cancer: How the Guitarist Won His Battle With Death, and Turned Toward Positivity.
If You Wailt Long Enough – Songs Of Will Stratton has been featured around the web on:
All Around Sound (US)
Dans le Mur du Son (FR)
Das Klienicum (DE)
Dying For Bad Music (DE)
Et ça critique! (FR)
Folk Radio (UK)
Fractale Blog (FR)
Hi-Five For Lo-Fi (UK)
In Your Speakers (US)
Indie For Bunnies (IT)
Liability Webzine (FR)
Pop News (FR)
The Monument (US)
Those Who Dig (US)
Wake The Deaf (UK)
WEXT Exit 97.7 (NY, USA)
WNYC Spinning On Air (NY, USA) in the June 23 playlist.
WFMU’s Irene Trudel (NJ, USA) : “Who Will” covered by Matthew Carefully & the Memorial Concern in the June 10 playlist, and “Do You Remember The Morning?” covered by Kids In The Attic in the July 1st playlist.
WFMU’s Shrunken Planet with Jeffrey Davison (NJ, USA) : “Bluebells” covered by Zachary Cale in the July 27 playlist, and “The Relatively Fair” covered by Sam Moss & The Ineligible Bachelors in the August 3rd playlist.
Aligre FM, Planet Claire (Paris, FR): “Vile Bodies” covered by David Garland and “Honey Diamond” covered by Thibault Rivrain in the June 26 playlist.
We strongly recommend you to dig into Will Stratton’s discography on Bandcamp. His 2012 album “Post-Empire” is available through Talitres for mainland Europe (CD/LP/digital), and digitally from Big Oil for Scandinavia and UK.
FOR ANY ADDITIONAL INFO ON THE COMPILATION, OR IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO FEATURE OR BROADCAST IT, PLEASE GET IN TOUCH: CAPTN(AT)GOODMORNINCAPTN.COM